Bitcoin has garnered much attention lately, with many people wondering what it is and how they can invest in it. As a digital currency that first emerged as an alternative to standard payments like PayPal or credit card transactions, Bitcoin is a new kind of asset class. But as this article will explain, it’s also much more.
Bitcoin is the first example of what’s known as a ‘cryptocurrency’ – a type of digital token that operates independently of centralized institutions such as banks or governments. With the rise of Blockchain technology, enabling the creation of digital tokens like Bitcoin, we are beginning to see a rise in so-called ‘alternative assets.’ These assets are not just for high-net-worth investors but for everyday investors too. Here we explain why you should invest in Bitcoin and other alternative assets before their potential grows any smaller.
What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin (BTC) is the first decentralized digital currency. It works like physical gold but much more efficiently. It is a secure, digital asset that is completely borderless, decentralized, and transparent. In 2010, Bitcoinmarket.com became the world’s first bitcoin exchange. Since then, cryptocurrency has become increasingly popular. When writing this article, Bitcoin is the most expensive virtual currency in the world by market cap ($447 billion).
Bitcoin is a new type of asset uncontrolled by governments, corporations, or central banks. Instead, it is a decentralized currency used around the world. You only need an internet connection and a wallet to store your bitcoins. Bitcoin can be exchanged for other currencies or be used to purchase goods and services. It works as a secure payment system that allows users to transfer money without going through a central authority like a bank or clearinghouse.
How to Invest in Bitcoin?
The first question that comes to mind is how to invest in bitcoin. The first step is to open up a bitcoin wallet. There are different types of crypto wallets available online, which you can use to store your bitcoins. You can also create an account with a cryptocurrency exchange such as Coinbase, Binance, or Robinhood Crypto. You can purchase bitcoin with a traditional currency like US dollars. These exchanges allow you to use a credit or debit card to buy bitcoin, so you don’t necessarily have to open a new wallet.
Another way to invest in bitcoin is to buy shares in a company that mines bitcoin. You can do this through a company called Bitcoin Investment Trust. You also can purchase shares in this trust through an online brokerage account like E*Trade, TD Ameritrade, or your financial advisor.
Other Ways to Invest in the Bitcoin Asset Class
Besides directly investing in bitcoin, you can also invest in companies involved with blockchain technology. This new digital ledger system supports the creation of cryptocurrencies. Some good examples of these types of companies include:
1. Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD): This company designs computer chips for personal computers and servers used by companies to host websites.
2. Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN): This company offers cloud computing services that allow companies to store data remotely.
3. Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL): This company owns Google, the world’s most popular website.
4. Cisco Systems Inc. (CSCO): This company manufactures computer networking equipment.
5. Intel Corp. (INTC): This company makes microprocessors, computer chips used in most PCs and server computers.
6. Microsoft Corp. (MSFT): This company offers software and computer services.
7. Nvidia Corp. (NVDA): This company manufactures graphics processing units or GPUs.
8. Oracle Corp. (ORCL): This company offers computer software services.
An Overview of the Different Types of Cryptocurrency
Several different types of cryptocurrency are available for investment, including:
• Bitcoin: As discussed above, it’s worth repeating that bitcoin is the world’s leading cryptocurrency.
• Ethereum: A programmable and permissionless blockchain network, enabling users to mint custom crypto tokens, write smart contracts, and develop NFTs.
• Ripple: This cryptocurrency allows money transfers between different currencies.
• Litecoin: This is another type of cryptocurrency that uses blockchain technology.
• Dash: This cryptocurrency is more anonymous than others, making it a popular choice for people who want to avoid government oversight.
• IOTA: This cryptocurrency helps machines send and receive payments.
• Zcash: Features anonymous transactions when sending and receiving cryptocurrency.
Bitcoin: The New Asset Class You Should Be Investing In – Conclusion
The rise of new technologies causes fear, especially of existing technologies and assets becoming obsolete. Cryptocurrency has disrupted the banking sector, and digital currencies have met resistance from regulators and central banks. Yet, the potential for digital currencies to become a mainstream asset class is undeniable. The benefits of decentralized, virtual currencies like Bitcoin in the global economy are already beginning to come to fruition:
• Lower transaction costs
• Broader access to innovative financial products
• Increased efficiency and transparency in business
As Bitcoin and cryptocurrency become more widely known and understood, we expect more investors to begin adding digital assets to their portfolios alongside stocks and bonds.
Contact us to learn how we are mining Bitcoin, building wealth everyday. Check it out here.